Sarah Kerry's blog. That's right. Me!

Thursday 28 October 2010

ready to trans-mitt

Grey/ Blue Snowflake
In German, the word for gloves translates literally as hand-shoes (Handschuhe). This feels appropriate for my handslippers - the fingerless mittens. I love gloves and I like mittens too, but I'm constantly taking them off and dislike having a system for putting my coat on.

Pink/Red "I heart Robots" with bike

The design process was slower than I'd like but I'm happy with the result. I came from making full mittens and semi felting them, which creates a slightly less warm but more flexible fabric - important if you are wearing all-encompassing mittens but less so if the design creates its own wriggle room. There's elastic round the cuff (not tight, it's not going to create a sorry imprint everytime you wear them, just enough so it doesn't stretch out of shape) and some around the top too, and a contrasting gusset, call it off-kilter if you like, I just think it looks more interesting.
Yellow Polka Dot (Grey contrast) with Louise Doherty Toaster mug. 

 Okay I got a bit carried away trying to get a good picture of this mug. Louise Doherty's robots, astronauts, toasters and other flights of illustrated fancy are simultaneously comic and stylish. I want her to design a t shirt! She doesn't have a website, not yet anyway.

White/ Green Graph Paper with contrasting Brown trimming, and Purse.doc

 Mittens.doc My office at work is freezing, so I do end up working in gloves sometimes



 Which picture should I use? I want to print one off to display on my market stall


Also Makers online gave me a little feature :-)

3 comments:

  1. one of the first 2,they're my faves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went for the first 2, cheers facebook, twitter and roz.... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. these look well good!
    pst. lets sort out that coffee/tea shindig!

    ReplyDelete